Sunday, December 21, 2008

21.

The miles I ran. My marathon is 6 weeks from today! - said with excitement AND fear. I started running in March and 5 miles was the first run that I didn't know if I could even do. I remember that Nick went with me and I actually survived! Since then, I've been pretty confident that I might be able to do this thing. Until yesterday... I started having doubts. 21 miles seems like such a long way. I didn't know if I could do it. And I couldn't. I can't. But God can. Only by the grace of God am I able to run that far. Who does that? I don't know. Sometimes I think I am crazy but I love to go out on the long runs with my ipod. It's my time to ponder God for more than a few moments. I download the latest sermons from Francis Chan and just take off running. It's great. Thank you, Lord.

The pounds I've lost. I originally wanted to do the marathon so that I could have some motivation to get off the Sam baby weight. It didn't work so well. Contrary to what I had believed, running does not take off the weight. You have to actually eat well too. Imagine that- diet AND exercise! So, six weeks ago, I cut out all refined flour and sugar from my diet. It's been great and I don't feel deprived. To quote my skinny cousins: "A moment on your lips, forever on your hips" and "Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels." So there you have it. 21 is a great number for me this week.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Missy, you are so awesome. You have accomplished so much. Congratulations! Not only have you showed such quiet determination and fortitude, but you have always been so upbeat about both challenges. You are very inspiring to me :) Next one we will do together!

Paul and Suzy said...

I am so impressed! I am tired just walking up our stairs! Good luck!

The Jerrolds Family said...

Missie, I am so proud of your motivation & your determination! You are awesome! I am privileged to have a friend in you... Good job! I am working on coming to see this eventful day!!!